Thursday, April 9, 2009

Thankful Thursday

I haven't listed the things I'm thankful for lately and thought it was about time. Just so everyone knows though, that doesn't mean I haven't been thankful...just haven't put pen to paper (or fingers to keys in this case). :)

1. I am thankful for family. I'm thankful that I have a best friend for a husband who helps out with all the daily things and encourages me when I'm down. I'm thankful for three of the brightest, cutest, loving-est (all right, you get the picture) little boys on earth. I'm thankful for my mom and dad who give of their time to help a mom who is home with three little boys alone at night.

2. I am thankful for our jobs. In this time of uncertainty, I am thankful that, for today, I have a job and so does Brandon.

3. I am thankful for friends and co-workers who know my heart and encourage when I'm down.

4. I am thankful for sunshine. It always makes the day brighter, both literally and figuratively.

5. I'm thankful for my office window which allows me to enjoy the sunshine even when I'm cooped up indoors.

6. I'm thankful that my children, husband and myself are all healthy and that the news of cut health benefits didn't devastate us like it would have if one of us were dealing with health issues and drs offices on a regular basis.

7. I am thankful that I serve a God who knows my heart and comforts without fail. I'm thankful that it is He who is ultimately in control and not man. Boy, would we all be in trouble if "man" (who thinks we have all the answers) were in control. Luckily, God sees what is up the road ahead and plans accordingly for us.

8. I am thankful that Rhett twists and turns and wiggles to get loose trying to get to me when he sees me walk through the door. I am, likewise, thankful that my two biggies run to greet me with arms wide open and smiles on their faces when I walk through the door. It means they love me. :)

9. I am thankful for bedtime prayers with my kids at night. Some of the MOST precious moments in life. There is nothing more honest than a child's prayer and they are ever so thankful for EVERYTHING. Don't believe me? Just ask a child to pray and listen for yourself! But make sure you have plenty of time because they will name off everything in their vocabulary! :)

10. I am thankful for amazing deals found on Amazon! (Hey, my whole list couldn't be mushy, could it?) I have found some great deals recently and look forward to receiving them in the mail soon!

Well, there's my 10 anyway. I recently heard a story that has really made me think lately. One of my co-workers told of a book about a girl that was held in Jewish concentration camps. The living conditions were horrific and unimaginable. Among the horrid living conditions they noticed there were also flea infestations in the barracks. One girl asked another girl, "Why, of all things do we have to deal with FLEAS on top of everything else we endure? Why would God allow fleas?" The other girl replied that she should be thankful for the fleas--that while they may not know or understand, God sees the whole picture. The guards would not come inside the barracks because of the terrible flea problem which allowed them time for worship and bible study each night. They began to see why God had "allowed" the fleas. It was so they could worship and share the bible with others which would have never been allowed had the guards known. My co-worker adopted the saying, "Be thankful for the fleas even if you don't know why." I think we can all learn a lot from that statement. Until next time, be thankful for whatever "fleas" may be in your life right now. God has a plan even if it hasn't been revealed to us yet.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Nice list Arika and thanks for the ending thought!!

Sasha said...

I love your Thankful Thursday list. I'm glad that I took the time to read it. I love the ending thought about FLEAS. Is that from rwhite? It seems like something she'd say :o)

Also... when I worked in your shoes I loved that big window by your desk!! I know some people have to "fight" for window privileges. That big tree outside your window was AMAZING this fall!!

Love you and I'm glad you and Brandon are currently safe too. Lord willing everyone can get back up on their feet soon. Including the school.